Scholars To Present Papers at the International Fire Service Journal of Leadership and Management 2016 Research Symposium
The Annual Research Symposium that supports the International Fire Service Journal of Leadership and Management (IFSJLM) will be held in Tulsa, Oklahoma, on July 9, 2016, at the Renaissance Tulsa Hotel & Convention Center. IFSJLM is sponsored and published by Fire Protection Publications (FPP) and the International Fire Service Training Association (IFSTA) located on the campus of Oklahoma State University (OSU). Because of its red cover, which pays tribute to the long tradition of FPP and IFSTA training manuals that also have red covers, the IFSJLM is also affectionately called the “Red Journal.” The IFSJLM is the only academic journal in the world that publishes peer-reviewed articles focusing exclusively on fire leadership and management. The Red Journal is published annually in September or October. FPP released the first issue of IFSJLM in 2007. For information about how to submit articles or subscribe to the IFSJLM, go to http://www.ifsjlm.org/.
The Annual Research Symposium that supports IFSJLM was first held in 2004. The symposium is held on the Saturday before the start of the Annual IFSTA Validation Conference held in July. The original intent of the research symposium (abbreviated to RS plus the last two digits of the current year) was to bring together subject-matter experts to present papers on fire leadership and management topics and issues. These papers could then be submitted for peer review and possible publication in IFSJLM. The strategy worked perfectly! To date, many of the articles appearing in the Red Journal were first presented at a research symposium.
You are cordially invited to join us at RS16 on July 9, 2016, in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Unlike most academic conferences/symposia, a registration fee is NOT required to attend RS16. You MUST, however, REGISTER in order to attend the symposium so that we know how many guests to expect. If you would like to register to attend RS16, please send your name, organization, and email address to Dr. Robert E. England, Founding Editor of the International Fire Service Journal of Leadership and Management, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Dr. England will forward your “registration request” to the appropriate person at Fire Protection Publications.
Scheduled speakers to date at RS16 include the following:
- Keynote Address: “Health, Wellness, and Readiness in the Fire Service,” Dr. Sara A. Jahnke, Director and Principal Investigator, Center for Fire, Rescue & EMS Health Research, Institute for Biobehavioral Health Research, National Development & Research Institutes, Leawood, Kansas
- “Research Tools Guide Fire Service Leaders,” Chief Dennis Compton, Chairman of the Board of Directors, National Fallen Firefighters Foundation
- “Leveraging ‘Big Data’ for Fire Service Leadership and Management,” Dr. Lori Moore-Merrell, Assistant to the General President of the International Association of Fire Fighters
- “The National Fire Incident Reporting System: What We Know, Where We’ve Been, and Where We’re Going,” Dr. Denis Onieal, Deputy Fire Administrator for the United States Fire Administration
- “The 2015 National Fire Service Research Agenda Symposium (RAS),” Chief Ronald Siarnicki, Executive Director, National Fallen Firefighters Foundation
- “The Oklahoma State University (OSU) Fire Council: Collaboration for the Past, Present, and Future,” Jarett L. Metheny, Assistant Professor, Fire Protection and Safety Technology Program. Oklahoma State University.
- "“Assessing Member Satisfaction within the Volunteer Fire Service in South Carolina,” Dr. David A. Greene, Deputy Chief, Colleton County (S.C) Fire-REscue and Ph.D. Candidate, Fire and Emergency Management Administration Program at Oklahoma State University (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Roundtable Discussion of Presentations and other Issues and Concerns in Fire Leadership and Management, Featuring and Moderated by Fire Chief Tom Jenkins, Rogers, Arkansas, and President of the International Association of Fire Chiefs for 2017-2018.
We hope you can join us at RS16!